Adds by google

Sunday 22 June 2014

117 YEARS AFTER, A BRITON RETURNS STOLEN BENIN ARTIFACTS


117 YEARS AFTER, A BRITON RETURNS STOLEN BENIN ARTIFACTS
                                                   

Two bronze artifacts, a long beaked bird and a bell which were looted by captain Philip Walker in 1897 during the Benin invasion have been returned to the Benin kingdom and handed over to the current monarch oba Erediauwu by captain Walker’s grandson Dr Mark Walker. And he had this to say:
“I was very pleased to have them in my possession because they reminded me of my parents. But when I realized that my children were not interested in the bronze artworks, I knew I had to protect their future”.
THE QUESTION
What if his children were interested in the artworks, would he have still returned them?

No comments: